University of Ottawa Heart Institute
Heart Wise Exercise Program
Exercising after a heart attack is one of the best ways to help you get back to health. In consultation with the Heart Wise Exercise Program a variety of Yoga classes at PranaShanti Yoga Centre have been identified as safe and suitable for people who are interested in or concerned about their heart health. These classes have been designated as meeting the conditions for safety and suitability for heart patients. PranaShanti Yoga Centre welcomes and encourages people with heart disease to exercise, provided they have approval from their doctor.
- Encourages regular, daily aerobic exercise
- Encourages warm up, cool down and self-monitoring with all exercise sessions
- Allows participants to exercise at a safe level, and has progressive options to increase intensity if appropriate
- Accepts participants with a known history of cardiac disease – provided they have physician approval
- Provides health screening for all participants
- Has an emergency plan that is documented and known to all exercise leaders, including the requirement of current CPR certification, phone access to EMS and presence of an AED
The following Yoga Classes have been identified to the Heart Institute as “Heart Healthy” because they meet the requirements for providing a moderate level of exercise.
- Hatha Yoga & Meditation
- Hatha Yoga
- Therapeutic Yoga
- Somatic Yoga
- Yoga Basics
Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation
Cancer Survivorship Care – Maplesoft Centre
The Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation is working to fill the gaps in services available to cancer patients and their network of family and caregivers. In September 2009, the Cancer Foundation unveiled plans to build a Cancer Survivorship Centre on the grounds of the Richard and Annette Bloch Cancer Survivors Park. The Cancer Foundation offers Cancer Survivorship Care Programming at the new Maplesoft Centre as a series of programs and workshops, led by certified cancer care professional and volunteers, designed to assist the patient, and those closest to them, through every step of the cancer journey from pre-diagnosis, through the process of diagnosis and treatment, to post-treatment recovery.
Cancer Survivorship Care programming is offered free of charge and without a medical referral – and provides tailored individual and group services using three different approaches: One-to-One Care; Self-Care and Supportive Care.
PranaShanti Yoga Centre is a proud partner with the Cancer Survivorship Care – Maplesoft Centre by offering weekly Meditation Classes for cancer survivors, their families and caregivers.
“A home that heals your body, calms the mind and strengthens the spirit.”